Recently, a friend of mine from high school (yes, that was 29 years ago!) posted a fabulous picture of herself on Facebook….I commented that she was INSPIRING! She challenged me to something called the “21 Day Fix”. I decided to go for it! She is a “coach” for a group of 12 of us.
I ordered the program which is a combination of Exercise (blech), healthy eating, and some kind of shake/smoothie thing (which is a little spendy). I decided that I would give it all a go for 21 days. I got my “kit” far in advance of her start day of Sept. 2, so have had time to read through it all and give the food part a trial run (minus the shakes — I am hoarding them, and have been substituting yogurt). I have not tried the exercise videos yet, but when I do I’ll let you know how difficult they were for a person that has a bad knee and is carrying about 30 extra pounds. I also need to take my measurements and a start picture which I am dreading a little.
The food part is great. It’s real food, and healthy. Calculations in the manual show that I am in the 1200 to 1499 calorie range which I know (from past experiences) is “dead-on” for me to lose weight. On trial day one, I was not hungry at all, and struggled to eat everything. Crazy, right ? Now, I will admit I have a few cheats that I must fess up to.
- 2 or 3 coffees (which is not bad on the plan….BUT….)
- Heavy cream to go with the coffee
- Sugar free hazelnut syrup to go with the coffee
- Salad dressing: Balsamic Vinaigrette is my own recipe which has added sugar
- Plan calls for PLAIN Greek yogurt… I find that quite nasty unless subbing for sour cream, so am going with Yoplait lights – once I start the shakes they will end up taking the place of the yogurts.
- Hot sauce is free, but I substituted salsa
The food is divided into colored categories, and the kit comes with containers to help you gauge the amounts.
- Blue=Fats (avocado, nuts, cheeses, etc.)
- Orange=Fats (dressings, olives, peanuts)
- An additional 2 teaspoons of oils/peanut butter etc.
Below is my menu for day one, and some (not all) pics of the food. I think once I create a weeks worth of menus I will try to find some way to post them with embedded pics. I’m in the 1200-1499 calorie range which gives me 3 greens, 2 purples, 4 reds, 2 yellows, 1 blue, 1 orange and 2 teaspoons (grey).