FUN STUFF at 2014 Summer Nationals with my good friend Isobel…THX for being such a good sport !
Game On – 2014 Junior Olympics April 10, 2014
The kiddo qualified for foil and epee Junior Olympics, and what a tremendous coincidence that they were held locally here in Portland, Oregon this year. This is one of my favorite pics from the weekend. She had broken her arm snowboarding a few weeks earlier, and we were SO happy her doctor cleared her to participate.
The Jabberwock is back ! May 15, 2013
Are you wondering what the Jabberwock has been up to lately ?
1. Went to my first fencing competition in about 25 years !
2. Currently attending a college class that is work related. Unfortunately this class has absorbed the free time that I usually use to update my blog.
3. Went on a business trip to Charlotte
Even with all this going on, I have some GREAT new recipes. A few are PERFECT for summer.
Jabberwock and Fencing…(En Garde)…Part 1. December 30, 2012
Twenty five years ago the Jabberwock was heavily involved in fencing…yes…Errol Flynn, Princess Bride, and so forth. Except the Jabberwock did it collegiately and went to several NCAA’s, Junior Olympics, and all that jazz.
Here’s a fun video of good times from my high school fencing era: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZMDbPUig8
However in college, the Jabberwock (who was paying her own way, and lived on her own) discovered that fencing is a demanding sport, and there were some choices to be made:
- Pay rent, electricity (expensive in SoCal), pay gas, pay water (also expensive in Cali), and keep the car working (very important in SoCal at that time since public transportation was a joke).
- Pay the school bill (EGADS – no help from Mommy and Daddy on any of this stuff)
- Study (and subsequently get GOOD grades)
- Get a degree in a tough major, so the Jabberwock would never need to worry about finances again
So, after fencing for a couple of years collegiately the Jabberwock had to give it up. She went cold turkey. End result was a degree in a highly technical field, and a great paying job right out of college. But deep in her heart was regret over giving up fencing, which always gave her great pleasure……(to be continued….).
Fun Stuff October 20, 2012
Fun Stuff on Tuesday Nights
The Jabberwock has decided to take up fencing again after a 25 year hiatus….
The mask (although severely beat up) is still useable and the glove in pretty good condition. I don’t seem to have any practice (non-electric) blades, so will need to use whatever the club has — hopefully NOT a French grip! Alas, the jacket is too small since I have put on 25 pounds in the last 25 years, so will have to use a stinky one at the club.
I fenced “hard core” for a year in high school, and two years in college, and quite honestly those were the best memories of my youth. Good times, very good people, and good exercise. And of course I loved competing in tournaments, and have a desire to get back into that if my bum knee cooperates.
Wish me luck….I am in really bad shape right now !